Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Central Pit of Malebolge: The Giants

Finally, Virgil and I were able to face a new direction and all the valley could see of us was our backs. We had to climb to the top of an incline made of stone to make it to our new destination. Once at the top, my eyes couldn't make out much at all. My ears were more than capable though. I had heard the high piercing note of a trumpet. I tried to trace it through the blackness but didn't have any luck. Finally, as my eyes adjusted, I was able to make out a gathering of tall towers. I assumed this to be another city and wondered if Heavenly intervention would once again be needed to enter it.

I questioned Virgil but his reply was vague. He said that my assumption was incorrect. I would understand more once I got closer. However, he wasn't surprised that I misinterpreted my surroundings. This just made me more curious. He seemed to rethink his explanation. Virgil, hoping to alleviate some of my shock, began to share his wisdom.

These massive towers were not structures at all, they were giants. They were the finals guards to the last pit in Hell. The closer I came to the bodies, the more I was able to make out. Their flesh was bulbous and swollen. Coarse hair that made a forest all its own covered the chests of the beasts. Their stomachs jutted out a great distance and their mouths moved slowly when they spoke a mysterious language. Virgil said that it was gibberish. This giant was bound five times with chains. No amount of strength on his part would be enough to free him.

Much like we had used monsters to our advantage before, it was time to use the giants for transportation. Once giant reached out his massive hands, covered in blistering skin, and my guide stepped into them. He invited me to join him. Reluctantly, I followed his instructions. The giant, like a tumbling wall after a pillar is removed, began to bend toward the floor of Hell. I wished desperately that there was some other way for us to travel. Flying was at least quicker than this method. I closed my eyes and stood close to my guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment