Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Circle Five: Styx: The Wrathful, Phlegyas Circle Six: Dis: The Fallen Angels




Virgil and I came to the foot of a great tower. As we were walking toward it, I noticed that two huge flames came from the very top of the mountain. Then, as if in answer, another flame sprouted through the mist. My answer came once I saw a boat traveling toward my guide and I. The one steering the boat was called Phlegyas. As I boarded the boat I once again considered that it had never carried so much weight before.

As I sat in my state of anxiety, I saw a form slowly make its way out of the slime we were sailing on. He cried at me asking who I was and why I, a man with life still in my body, was present in Hell. It seemed as though everyone who I encountered here didn't want me to be preset. God willed me to be here. I didn't want to listen to their patronizing words any longer. I answered the cry with my own question, asking who this foul voice belonged to. It was Filippo Argenti. Someone I had known and disliked greatly when he was with the living. I told this creature that I hoped that he was miserable forever. As I did so, he reached out toward me. My guide was able to shove him back into the muck.

Virgil them embraced me. He praised me for my actions. I was finally able to tell a sinner that he was worthless. Virgil's praise led me to think further. I told Virgil that I wanted to see that man suffer more before we finished crossing the body of water.

I cherish the image in my head of the man being mangled by his watery companions. I even thank God for it.

Just ahead, Virgil and I took in the sight of the city of Dis. I was able to make out the glow coming from its mosques. It was as if they had just been forged with molten metals and come fresh from their molds. Anyone entering them would surely burn and their skin would bubble.

Upon reaching the gate to Dis, I was taunted once more by many creatures and souls who crowded around it. They told me that a living man would never be allowed into their city or through their gates. They explained that I must turn back. At this moment, I felt completely lost and helpless. If I couldn't pass through the gates there was no way I would be able to escape Hell. Would I be able to stay with Virgil and have a perpetual pit in my stomach reminding me of what could have been? Would I have to ask the great creature, Minos, which level I belonged in? I started considering my sins. Would being alive in Hell be considered a sin against nature? Would I simply be sent to the deepest, most blackened, vermin-infested corner?

Virgil, seeing my terror, offered his reassurance. He told me that since such a higher power wanted me here, it would see us through. He promised that he wouldn't leave me here to wander alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment