Thursday, May 17, 2012

Circle Eight: The Evil Counselors

I took a moment to convey my disappointment at how prominently Florence was represented in Hell by its citizens. In the area of the thieves alone, I encountered five individuals from Florence. As my guide and I traveled on, I began to feel lonely. It seemed as though no one was on our side here. I didn't expect them to be friendly but I also didn't expect such malice.

When I looked into the next area of Hell we were approaching, I could only compare it in my head to a field of fireflies trying to light my way. This came as a welcome and friendly comparison and I almost felt safer. However, these lights weren't the yellow hue of a firefly, they were actual flames. The towers of flame began to completely take over my vision as Virgil and I got closer. I could just barely make out bodies that danced, suspended, in these flames.

Virgil explained that notable men such as Ulysses, the man responsible for the Trojan Horse,  resided here for their crimes. Virgil seemed to have pull with these men because they had read his works. He asked Ulysses what brought him to this place. When Ulysses spoke, his flame quivered. Ulysses discussed, in Greek, which Virgil later translated to me, the love he had for his wife and how it couldn't compare to his drive to explore. Even though he had been away from his family for about ten years, he just couldn't make his lust for wandering subside. He went out again on the sea and the last thing he remembered seeing was Hercules' Pillars and then a large mountain. His ship sunk. Drowning in the water led to his current position; floating in flame.

Nothing in my heart could imagine choosing to wander the world instead of staying with my love.


No comments:

Post a Comment