Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Circle Eight (The Evil Ditches)

The next area we entered was a great circle of stone that slopes downward slowly. Each slope is divided into ten concentric ditches and in each ditch is a different group of sinners receiving punishment. Virgil and I approached the first ditch which held the panderers and seducers. Each sinner that we saw was nude and walking at a very fast pace. I wondered if they were trying to get away from someone or something. Then I wondered why they weren't running instead of walking. After looking closer, I saw their pursuers. Blackened demons chased these men with whips the size of myself. If the sinner did not walk at the right pace, they would be struck with the whip.

Farther off, in the next ditch, we were met with the smell of excrement. Steam from the filth rose to our nostrils and I considered turning back once more. Not only were my eyes and ears suffering, but my nostrils were now as well. I realized how deeply enthralled with this whole process I was. There was no way that I could turn back. I couldn't call upon any great beasts myself. Getting through Hell could help me toward being more powerful, more brave, more dedicated. Once again, I realized I must press on. I looked further into the ditch. People were flowing through this river of excrement. I saw someone that I thought I knew, but I could barely tell for he was covered in the muck from the river. I was disgusted with him; with those who were here.


No comments:

Post a Comment