Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Circle Seven: Round Two, The Violent Against Themselves

Virgil and I, with Nessus as our guide, made our way into a wooded area. There was no path to guide us, only branches pointing in all directions as if wanting to direct us, but not knowing the right answer themselves. The path moved upward and I desperately wanted to rise with it. Never did I think I could be in a more unwelcoming forest than I began this journey in. This forest, instead of being green and full of life, was filled with blackened trees. Instead of fruit, they bore thorns that were purple or red in color denoting poison. If the branches weren't pointing out, they were wrapped around the trunk of the tree as if they were trying to hold themselves together.

More Harpies nested here. They seemed to weigh on the trees more than my live body did on the ground. Each wing was at least double my arm span and each claw as long as my hand. These claws tore at the trees they were perched in. Their swollen stomachs were covered in coarse feathers that would slice human skin on contact. Most unnerving though, was the fact that they had human faces that portrayed only animal emotions. Reason was not one of those emotions.

My anxiety began to build wondering what tortures I was about to see or that I might have to avoid. I heard cries of anguish, but saw nothing. My guide further added to my worry by telling me that, if I looked carefully, I would be able to understand the secrets of this forest. He went on to say that if he told me what awaited my eyes I wouldn't trust him anymore. He didn't think that I would believe him.

Maybe the sinners were buried under the earth? Virgil interrupted my thoughts by telling me to break off a branch from one of the trees. I was puzzled, but without questioning him, I reached up and broke off a small branch at my eye level. It didn't break as stiffly as I expected a dead tree branch to do. Instead, I had to tear it off in a way that felt like I was ripping a flower stem or something with fruit-like flesh.

From the trunk of the tree came the words, "Why do you break me?". Blood began to seep out of where I had wounded the sentient tree. It pooled at my feet but didn't sink into the dry ground of Hell. The tree told me that he used to be a man but is now a solid tree that can think, feel pain, and worst of all, bleed. The tree began to blame me for what I had done, asking why I hadn't had more mercy. I felt guilt well up inside my stomach and rise to my chest.

My guide chimed in, explaining that I wouldn't have believed his words if I hadn't seen the situation for myself. While I understood his motives, I still felt guilt. However, Virgil asked the tree to tell me his story so that I could bring it back to Earth and tell others about him. This would make up for me injuring him. Though the being had killed himself while alive to escape scorn, his faithfulness to the lord never faltered. This is the message that he wanted me to spread.



No comments:

Post a Comment