Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Dark Wood of Error

I will admit to you that I knew I had been straying for some time throughout my thirty-five years from the road that I wanted to be on; the straight road. Though I never expected to suddenly find myself in a dark wood alone without any direction. What scared me, possibly most of all, was that I had no idea how I came to be in this wilderness. After walking cautiously through the wood, I came upon a little hill. At that moment, I saw the sun rise behind this mass of earth and almost give it a halo. This instilled in my a new sense of safety and security. It strengthened my mind to the situation I was in. Seeing the sun rise in such a way behind The Mount of Joy encouraged me to climb directly up the mountain in hopes of escaping this dreadful place. However, the forest had other plans for me.

Immediately after I started my trek, my path became blocked by a large spotted leopard. Soon, an enormous lion joined the leopard. Finally, a she-wolf joined them both. All three animals seemed like they were faced with empty stomachs that only my body could satisfy. In my terror, I couldn't move. For an instant, I thought about what other souls had come to my same fate on this mountain. The sight of the she-wolf had completely killed my spirit. I accepted death and knew that my goal of getting to the top of the mountain was unattainable.

The wolf continued to pursue me until I was pushed back into the wood; all sight of the mountain was lost from my eyes. While my mind slowly sank back into the feeling of malaise, a figure slowly appeared before me. I figured that nothing in the forest was in favor of being my friend so I begged him to have pity on me.

When he spoke, his voice was hoarse and sounded as if it were passing through a thick liquid before it came into my ears. He explained to me that he was once a man but he isn't anymore. He was a poet, much like myself. He asked me why I returned to the forest instead of climbing the mountain. As if it had been my choice to be chased away by ravenous beasts.

I was able to overlook his comment once I realized who he was. The poet, Virgil, had appeared before me. I had admired him throughout my studies. He was my mentor and teacher, though I'd never actually known him. My main influence in my writings was standing in front of me. Seeing my hero stirred up my creative instincts and inspired me once again. I had a feeling that my encounter with him would lead to a noteworthy adventure.

At that moment though, there were more pressing issues. I pointed out the beast that I was running away from to him and begged him to protect me from her. I figured that if he had come to me as a shade he had other powers of some sort. I just knew that I had to get to the top of that mountain. Virgil however, suggested going another way. No one passes by the she-wolf.

Virgil then offered to be my guide to the mountain. He said that first, he would lead me to an eternal place. I would be able to see ancient spirits and people in pain. This would come first before being able to get up the mountain. I accepted his offer and told him to lead me to Hell. My present condition and situation could only lead to a worse fate.


No comments:

Post a Comment