Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Descent

As Virgil and I continued our journey, a thought came to me: I am simply a man. I needed help if I wanted to document everything that I was about to encounter. Therefore, I called to my muses. Specifically, I asked them to help me recall everything I would see on the journey. However, they couldn't quell one of my worries. I didn't think myself to be worthy of such a journey. Considering other men like the founder of Rome were able to make such a journey, I didn't think I could compare with their greatness. I began to wonder whether I was making the right choice. Whether it was better to simply turn back. I could go back into the woods and try to find the right path or maybe find a way around the terrible monsters and still get up the mountain. Something inside of me though knew that this might be the only chance I had left.

But was I really feeling unworthy? Or was I just being a coward? In truth, with what beasts I had seen that had come from Hell, such as the she-wolf, terrified me. There was no way that I could defeat something like that. Virgil didn't even prove to me that he would be able to do so. He simply avoided them. Would he really be able to protect me? But once again, who am I to doubt such a great man who has come to Earth from Hell?

According to Virgil, my love was on my side. Beatrice was the one who came to him asking him to help me. She confessed that she did not fear Hell. Because she is made by God's all seeing mercy, the pain and suffering of Hell can't touch her.

For me, the decree had been broken. Beatrice was let into Hell and back out to give Virgil this message and Virgil was let out to help me. It did seem like God himself was on my side. He wanted me to learn something through this journey. With this thought, I felt protected. God and his angels were looking out for me and would be there if events went, well, to Hell.

I felt born again, on this the eve of rebirth and ready to face the fiery inferno.


No comments:

Post a Comment